AAS 2741 – 2002 Shackles
AAS 2741 – 2002 Shackles specifies requirements for forged shackles of Quality Grades M or 4 and S or 6.
This Standard was prepared by the Standards Australia Committee ME-025, Lifting Tackle, to supersede AS 2741—1992.
This Standard incorporates Amendment No. 1 (July 2002) and Amendment No. 2 (November2008). The changes required by the Amendments are indicated in the text by a marginal bar and amendment number against the clause, note, table, figure or part thereof affected.
The purpose of this Standard is to promote the safety of shackles. This edition includes the following technical changes:
- (a) In Clause 2, the list of referenced documents has been brought up to date.
- (b) In Clause 3, the definitions for ‘production batch’ and ‘safe working load’ have been deleted, and definitions for ‘competent person’ and ‘nominal size’ have been added. The term ‘safe working load (SWL)’ is not used, to align with international practice.
- (c) In Clause 4, Quality Grades L, P and T have been deleted.
- (d) In Clauses 6, 8 and 9, the requirements for mechanical properties and proof testing are set out in a new format, including the deletion of production destructive tests.
- (e) Requirements for quality control have been included in Clause 9.
- (f) The note in Clause 9.4 recommends that the original test certificate be retained for 10 years.
- (g) In Appendix D, the dimension ‘E’ was changed from lower case to upper case.
- (h) Previous Figures 7 to 10 for pins for Quality Grade P shackles have been deleted.
- (i) Appendix F specifies conditions for application of test forces.
This Standard Covers:
2 REFERENCED DOCUMENTS
5 DESIGN AND MANUFACTURE
6 MECHANICAL PROPERTIES
8 TESTING OF MECHANICAL PROPERTIES
9 QUALITY CONTROL DURING MANUFACTURING
The full copy of AAS 2741 – 2002 Shackles can be purchased from SAI Global below.