AS 1418.3 – 1997 Cranes, Hoists and Winches
Part 3: Bridge, Gantry and Portal Cranes
AS 1418.3 – 1997 Cranes, Hoists and Winches Part 3: Bridge, Gantry and Portal Cranes
This edition of this Standard was prepared by the Joint Standards Australia/Standards New Zealand Committee ME/5, Cranes, to supersede AS 1418.3—1990.
This Standard is a result of consensus among representatives of the Joint Committee to produce it as an Australian Standard.
This edition incorporates the following changes:
- (a) The format has been revised in accordance with Standard Australia’s procedures.
- (b) The content has been amended to allow for the new edition of AS 1418.1, Cranes (including hoists and winches) Part 1: General requirements, published in 1994, and for ISO developments.
- (c) An appendix has been added showing clearances required between the cranes and fixed elements.
- (d) The appendix on ‘Statutory Approval’ has been removed in response to the changing role of regulatory organizations.
- (e) Items specific to safe use issues have been removed. These will be included in a dedicated part of AS 2550, Safe use of cranes.
- (f) Editorial changes.
This standard covers:
- SECTION 1 SCOPE AND GENERAL
- SECTION 2 CLASSIFICATION AND LOAD RATING
- SECTION 3 STRUCTURE
- SECTION 4 STABILITY
- SECTION 5 CRANE MECHANISMS
- SECTION 6 ACCESS FROM FIXED PLATFORMS
- SECTION 7 ACCESS FROM MOBILE PLATFORMS
- SECTION 8 CLEARANCES
SECTION 1 SCOPE AND GENERAL
1.1 SCOPE This Standard sets out requirements for bridge, gantry, semi-gantry, and portal cranes defined in AS 2549. It also covers container and heavy-duty cranes. It is complementary to AS 1418.1, but the requirements given herein take precedence over corresponding requirements in that Standard.
1.2 NEW DESIGN AND INNOVATIONS This Standard does not preclude the use of materials, designs, methods of assembly, procedures and the like which do not comply with a specific requirement of the Standard, or are not mentioned in it, but which can be shown to give equivalent or superior results to those specified.
1.3 APPLICATION Cranes using fixed platforms for servicing shall comply with Sections 1 to 6 and 8 to 13 inclusive. Cranes using mobile platforms for servicing shall comply with Sections 1 to 5 and 7 to 13 inclusive.
The full copy of AS 1418.3 – 1997 Cranes, Hoists and Winches Part 3: Bridge, Gantry and Portal Cranes can be purchased from SAI Global below.