AS 1657.2018 Fixed Platforms, Walkways, Stairways and Ladders
Design, Construction and Installation
AS 1657.2018 Fixed Platforms, Walkways, Stairways and Ladders – Design, Construction and Installation sets out requirements for the design, selection, construction and installation of fixed platforms, walkways, stairways and ladders that are intended to provide safe access to places used by operating, inspection, maintenance and servicing personnel.This Standard also applies to the following:(a) Movable platforms that are permanently configured but that may be site adjustable or site assembled/modified.(b) Permanently installed roof access, where such access is for the purpose of installing, operating, inspecting, maintaining or servicing equipment that is located on, or is accessible from, the roof.(c) Permanently installed access for inspection and maintenance of the roof itself.
This Standard was prepared by Standards Australia Committee SF-013, Platforms, Gangways, Stairways and Ladders, to supersede AS 1657—2013.
The objective of this Standard is to provide technical specifications and criteria for fixed platforms, walkways, guardrails, stairways, ladders and permanently configured (but movable) platforms that are used in the workplace, to reduce the risks to the safety of users. The objective of this revision is to clarify a number of clauses where the text was causing some confusion with readers and to improve the clarity of some figures. The bulk of the Standard is not affected by this revision. Changes in this edition include the following:
- (a) Clarification to the word ‘level’, which generally meant replacing it with less ambiguous words. Definitions for ladder flight and landings have been revised to replace the word ‘level’.
- (b) Figure 5.4(b) has been revised to align with the text of the Clause relating to rectangular handrails.
- (c) Clauses 5.6.4 and 5.6.5 have been revised.
- (d) Clause 7.3.6(a) is accompanied by a new figure, which has been included to clarify the ‘length of the landing’.
- (e) Figures 7.5 and 7.9 have been revised to align with the text of the relevant clauses
This Standard covers:
SECTION 1 SCOPE AND GENERAL
- 1.1 SCOPE
- 1.2 EXCLUSIONS
- 1.3 NORMATIVE REFERENCES
- 1.4 DEFINITIONS
SECTION 2 MEANS OF ACCESS
- 2.1 GENERAL
- 2.2 SELECTING A MEANS OF FIXED ACCESS
SECTION 3 DESIGN AND FABRICATION
- 3.1 GENERAL DESIGN REQUIREMENTS
- 3.2 MATERIALS
- 3.3 FABRICATION
SECTION 4 PLATFORMS AND LANDINGS
- 4.1 GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
- 4.2 DESIGN LOADS FOR FLOORS
- 4.3 PLATFORM SURFACES
- 4.4 GUARDRAILING
- 4.5 SAFETY BELOW THE PLATFORM OR LANDING
- 4.6 TOEBOARD
- 4.7 EDGES
SECTION 5 WALKWAYS
- 5.1 GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
- 5.2 DESIGN LOADS FOR WALKWAYS
- 5.3 WALKING SURFACES
- 5.4 GUARDRAILING
- 5.5 TOEBOARD
- 5.6 HANDRAILS
SECTION 6 PHYSICAL EDGE PROTECTION
- 6.1 DESIGN
- 6.2 SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
SECTION 7 ACCESS BETWEEN LEVELS
- 7.1 DESIGN
- 7.2 STAIRWAYS
- 7.3 STEP-TYPE LADDERS
- 7.4 TWIN-STILE RUNG-TYPE LADDERS
- 7.5 SINGLE-STILE RUNG-TYPE LADDERS
- 7.6 INDIVIDUAL-RUNG (STEP-IRON) LADDERS
SECTION 8 LABELLING AND DOCUMENTATION
- 8.1 GENERAL
- 8.2 LABELLING OF INSTALLATION
- 8.3 DOCUMENTATION TO BE SUPPLIED
The full copy of AS 1657.2018 Fixed Platforms, Walkways, Stairways and Ladders – Design, Construction and Installation can be purchased from SAI Global below.