AS 2759 – 2004 Steel Wire Rope – Use, Operation and Maintenance
AS 2759 – 2004 Steel Wire Rope – Use, Operation and Maintenance describes recommended procedures for the selection, storage, handling, maintenance, use, inspection, and discard of helically laid steel wire ropes.
This Standard was prepared by the Standards Australia Committee ME-025, Lifting Tackle, to supersede AS 2759—1985.
The objective of this Standard is to promote the use of procedures that will improve safety while selecting, storing, handling, maintaining, using, inspecting and discarding steel wire ropes.
This Standard includes the following changes from the superseded edition:
- (a) The inclusion of Clause 1.3, Innovations.
- (b) The inclusion of recently introduced rope constructions and deletion of those not in common use.
- (c) Drawings illustrating withdrawing a rope from a reel have been improved.
- (d) An acknowledgment that mechanical splicing has largely replaced hand splicing.
- (e) A major revision of Section 6, Poured sockets, including specific instructions for both molten metal and resin socketing.
- (f) Deletion of instructions for hand splicing of rotation-resistant ropes.
- (g) A substantial updating of the whole Standard, to bring it up-to-date with current practices.
- (h) The addition of new appendix covering aluminium alloy ferrules.
Acknowledgement is made of the Japan Crane Association for providing photographs that are reproduced herein. Their assistance is appreciated, and their copyright for these photographs is reserved.
This standard covers:
SECTION 1 SCOPE AND GENERAL
- 1.1 SCOPE
- 1.2 APPLICATION
- 1.3 INNOVATIONS
- 1.4 REFERENCED DOCUMENTS
- 1.5 DEFINITIONS
SECTION 2 SELECTION
- 2.1 GENERAL
- 2.2 PHYSICAL PROPERTIES
- 2.3 TEMPERATURE
- 2.4 WORKING LOAD LIMIT
SECTION 3 STORAGE AND HANDLING
SECTION 4 CUTTING AND FITTING
SECTION 5 ROPE FITTINGS AND THEIR EFFICIENCIES
SECTION 6 POURED SOCKETS
SECTION 7 SPLICING
The full copy of AS 2759 – 2004 Steel Wire Rope – Use, Operation and Maintenance can be purchased from SAI Global below.