AS 4497 – 2018 Roundslings – Synthetic Fibre
AS 4497 – 2018 Roundslings – Synthetic Fibre specifies requirements and recommendations for manufacture, care and use of roundslings made of synthetic fibre, which may include end fittings that are intended for lifting purposes. This standard does not address the use of roundslings for the lifting of personnel.
This Standard was prepared by the Standards Australia Committee ME-025, Lifting Tackle, to supersede AS 4497.1 Roundslings—Synthetic fibre, Part 1: Product specification and AS 4497.2 Roundslings—Synthetic fibre, Part 2: Care and use.
The objective of this Standard is to combine the two previously separate Parts for manufacturing and safe use into a single document.
This revision also incorporates the following changes:
- (a) New figures throughout the Standard.
- (b) New clauses on the following:
- (i) Competent persons.
- (ii) Effective lengths.
- (iii) Protective pads and corners.
- (iv) End fittings and interfacing components.
- (v) Markings.
- (vi) Working load limit tags/labels.
- (vii) Colour and stripes.
- (viii) Materials including high modulus polyethylene (HMPE).
- (ix) Cut protection.
- (x) Engineered lifts.
- (xi) Connecting to the loads.
This Standard Covers
SECTION 1 SCOPE AND GENERAL
- 1.1 SCOPE AND APPLICATION
- 1.2 REFERENCED DOCUMENTS
- 1.3 DEFINITIONS
- 1.4 COMPETENT PERSON REQUIREMENTS
SECTION 2 DESIGN, MANUFACTURING AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES
- 2.1 MATERIAL
- 2.2 DESIGN AND MANUFACTURE
SECTION 3 TESTING
- 3.1 TESTING OF MECHANICAL PROPERTIES
- 3.2 DESTRUCTION TEST REGIME AND ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA
- 3.3 PROOF TESTING
SECTION 4 CARE AND USE
- 4.1 INTRODUCTION
- 4.2 WORKING LOAD LIMIT (WLL)
- 4.3 CHOICE OF APPROPRIATE SLING FOR THE APPLICATION
- 4.4 PRECAUTIONS
- 4.5 PLANNING
- 4.6 PROTECTIVE SLEEVES, PADS AND CORNERS
- 4.7 CUT PROTECTION
- 4.8 WEAR AND ABRASION PROTECTION
- 4.9 CONNECTING TO A HOOK OR LOAD
- 4.10 CONNECTING TO A HOOK OR FITTING
- 4.11 MULTI-LEG SLINGS
- 4.12 CHOKE HITCHES
- 4.13 BASKET HITCHES
- 4.14 WORKING LOAD LIMIT (WLL)
- 4.15 LOAD EQUALISING DEVICES
- 4.16 STORAGE
- 4.17 INSPECTION
- 4.18 DISCARD CRITERIA
- 4.19 REPAIRS
- 4.20 CLEANING
The full copy of AS 4497 – 2018 Roundslings – Synthetic Fibre can be purchased from SAI Global below.