Your privacy and maintaining the confidentiality of your personal information is important to Us. We are committed to maintaining the security of personal information provided to Us by individuals who access and use Our products and services.
We are bound by the Privacy Act which includes the Australian Privacy Principles as well as Division 3 of Part IIIA which contains the Privacy (Credit Reporting) Code 2014 (CR Code) and are committed to protecting the personal information and Credit-related Information (as the case may be) We may hold at any time in respect of any individual, in accordance with those requirements.
WHY WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
We only collect, hold and use personal information (including Credit-related Information) about you which is reasonably necessary for Us to conduct Our business activities and provide Our products and services to you or to comply with the law. The purposes for which We will generally collect and use your information include:
- establishing your identity;
- setting up, administering and managing Our products and services and systems, including the management and administration of an account with Us;
- providing Our products and services to you;
- assessing, investigating and processing any instances of loss, theft or damage arising out of the use or hire of Our hire equipment, products or services;
- assessing your eligibility for any credit application or credit facility;
- performing administrative functions;
- telling you about Our other products and services;
- direct marketing and managing Our relationship with you; and
- to comply with any associated legal or regulatory obligations.
TYPES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The types of personal information We may ask you to provide to Us includes but is not limited to:
- personal and contact details such as your name, date of birth, telephone number, email address, and residential or postal address;
- documentary evidence to verify your identity;
- details of the company you work for and your role (if acting on behalf of an employer);
- financial information such as credit card information (for the purpose of paying for your hires and purchases from Us which may be tokenised, and if so, the token will vest in and remain Our property at all times);
- details about your purchases and orders from us and your product and services preferences;
- Equipment data;
- Credit-related Information; and
- online website usage data.
Sensitive information is a subcategory of personal information which includes information relating to your racial or ethnic origin, political and religious beliefs and your health. We will only collect and hold sensitive information about you with your consent, and only if We consider it reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, one of Our functions or services.
Our hire equipment may contain on-board devices (each a GPS Device) which enable the equipment to be connected to the internet and to send commands to and receive certain information from the equipment, including geolocation data from a global positioning system and other data including but not limited to speed, battery, voltage and ignition status of such equipment.
By hiring any equipment from Us, you expressly agree to Us using a GPS Device on such equipment during the rental period, and to Us collecting, using and retaining information from the GPS Device, and that We will be the owners of that data.
Information from the GPS Device may be used:
- to notify Us that the equipment requires maintenance or servicing;
- to provide information to the police or other authorities in the event that the equipment is stolen, not returned at the end of the hire period or is being used unlawfully;
- in the event of an accident or incident relating to the equipment during the hire period, e.g. to verify the location of the equipment at the time of the alleged accident or incident;
- to identify the exact location of the equipment in the event of a reported breakdown and to provide that location to breakdown responders;
- to identify whether the equipment is being used in an area prohibited under the hire contract conditions or in a manner that does not comply with manufacturer’s specifications or the terms of hire; or
- for any other purpose permitted under the Privacy Act or any other law.
We do not use GPS Devices in relation to products or equipment sold by Us.
Credit-related Information is information which is used to assess your eligibility to be provided with a credit facility. Credit-related Information will only be collected if you apply for a credit facility with Us. Credit-related Information includes your identity: the type, terms and maximum amount of credit provided to you, including when that credit was provided and when it was repaid; repayment history information; details of any serious credit infringements; court proceedings information and personal insolvency information. Credit eligibility information is credit reporting information supplied to Us by a credit reporting body (CRB) and any information We derive from it. Usually, Credit-related Information is exchanged between credit and finance providers and CRBs.
HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
In so far as possible, We collect personal information and Credit-related Information directly from you, verbally or in writing (including via application forms or through your ongoing interaction with Us for example by telephone, mail or electronic communication or when you visit one of Our hire centres).
There may be instances where personal information about you will be collected indirectly from a third party. These third parties may include other credit providers or financial institutions, your representatives such as financial advisers, accountants, lawyers and insurers, brokers, government agencies and CRBs.
From time to time, We may receive information that We have not asked about you from third parties. We will only keep, use and disclose this information as permitted by law.
We may also collect your personal information by using electronic verification services or searching publicly available sources of information such as public registers. Any information collected from publicly available sources will be protected in the same way as the information you voluntarily disclose.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
To enable Us to maintain a successful relationship with you, We may disclose your personal information to other organisations that provide products or services used or marketed by Us.
We may disclose your personal information:
- to other organisations that are involved in managing or administering Our products and services to you (including to facilitate repairs), such as to product manufacturers and suppliers, couriers and installers;
- to third parties necessary to assist us in investigating and preventing any potential, suspected or actual breaches of law or fraudulent activities;
- to regulatory bodies and government agencies or other third parties, where required under or authorised by law;
- our legal advisers, debt collection agencies, credit references bodies or industry associations (in circumstances where you are in default of a hire contract or other contractual commitment to Us);
- to anyone or any organisation, where you have provided Us consent; and
- where We are required to do so by law.
We will disclose your personal information only for the purpose/s for which we collected the personal information.
Prior to disclosing any of your personal information to another person or organisation, We will take reasonable steps to satisfy Ourselves that:
- the person or organisation to which We disclose personal information has a commitment to protecting your personal information at least equal to Our commitment; or, if required,
- you have consented to Us doing so.
STORAGE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We hold personal information in a combination of secure computer storage servers, facilities and paper-based files. From time to time, personal information may be held on or within systems internal or external to Us including public and private clouds and We will take reasonable steps to protect the personal information We hold from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, including by:
- using appropriate information technology and processes;
- restricting access to your personal information to Our employees and ensuring those who perform services to or for Us who need your personal information do what We have engaged them to do;
- protecting paper documents from unauthorised access or use through security systems We deploy over Our physical premises;
- using computer and network security systems with appropriate firewalls, encryption technology and passwords for the protection of electronic files; and
- securely destroying or “de-identifying” personal information if We no longer require it subject to Our legal obligations to keep some information for certain prescribed periods.
Whilst We take reasonable measures, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed as fully secure and accordingly We cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you send to Us over the internet (such as the submission of forms). You submit information over the internet at your own risk.
The law requires Us to advise you of ‘notifiable matters’ in relation to how We may use your Credit-related Information.
We exchange your Credit-related Information with CRBs and use this information to confirm your identity, assess your credit worthiness, assess your application for finance or your capacity to be a guarantor and manage your finance. The CRB may provide the information that We report about you to other credit providers to assist them to assess your credit worthiness. We may also obtain information that other credit providers have provided to the CRB to use in Our assessment of your credit-worthiness.
The information We can exchange includes your identification details, what type of loans you have, how much you have borrowed, whether or not you have met your loan payment obligations and if you have committed a serious credit infringement (such as fraud).
If you fail to meet your payment obligations in relation to any finance that We have arranged or you have committed a serious credit infringement, We may disclose this information to a CRB.
You have the right to request access to the Credit-related Information that We hold about you and make a request for Us to correct that Credit-related Information if needed. Please see the section headed “Accessing and correcting personal and Credit-related Information” below.
Sometimes your Credit-related Information will be used by CRBs for the purposes of ‘pre-screening’ credit offers on the request of other credit providers. You can contact the CRB at any time to request that your Credit-related Information is not used in this way.
You may contact the CRB to advise them that you believe that you may have been a victim of fraud. For a period of 21 days after the CRB receives your notification that you have (or may have) been a victim of fraud, the CRB must not use or disclose that Credit-related Information. You can contact any of the following CRBs for more information:
Our website uses “cookies” and similar online behavioural tracking techniques to help analyse how people use Our website. A cookie is a small text file placed on your computer by a web server when you access a website. Information generated by the cookie about uses of the website is then used to compile statistical reports on website activity by Us, helping improve the overall experience for users.
Cookies are designed to identify devices rather than individual users. We may, however, use them to help personalise your visit to Our website by linking the cookie on your device to your personal data stored on Our system.
If personal information about you is collected by third parties on any website you have accessed through Our website, We may also collect or have access to that information as part of Our arrangement with those third parties.
You may choose if and how to accept cookies by configuring the preferences and options in your web browser. However, if you choose to disable cookies, you may not be able to access some parts of Our website.
EXCHANGE OF INFORMATION WITH OVERSEAS PARTIES
There may be instances where your personal information is disclosed to Our associated entities or providers located in other overseas jurisdictions. The overseas jurisdictions that your personal information is subject to from cross border disclosure may change from time to time.
Where We disclose your personal information to an overseas recipient, We will take reasonable steps to protect your personal information and ensure that appropriate data handling and security arrangements are in place.
We may use information collected from or about you for the purpose of providing you with current information about special offers you may find of interest, changes to Our organisation, or new products or services being offered by Us or any company with whom We are associated.
NOTIFIABLE DATA BREACHES
Despite every effort to protect your personal information, there is always a possibility that a breach of Our security may occur. We are required to notify you and the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) where there is a data breach that will likely result in serious harm to you. If We believe there has been a data breach that impacts your personal information and creates a likely risk of serious harm, We will notify you and the OAIC as soon as practicable and keep in close contact with you about the nature of the breach, the steps We are taking and what you can do to reduce the impacts to your privacy.
ACCESSING AND CORRECTING PERSONAL AND CREDIT-RELATED INFORMATION
We take reasonable steps to ensure the personal and Credit-related Information We hold about you is accurate, complete and up to date.
We may need to consult with other entities as part of Our investigation.
COMPLAINTS AND FURTHER QUESTIONS
We will investigate your concerns and manage your complaint directly with you. If you are not satisfied with the outcome received, you may refer your complaint to the OAIC who can be contacted at either www.oaic.gov.au or by telephone on 1300 363 992.
OUR CONTACT DETAILS
Phone: 1300 SLINGS (1300 754 647)
Mail: PO Box 4749, Casula NSW 2170